[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Problems with video stream from Californina State Championship

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Wednesday, 11 December 2013, at 6:29 a.m.

In Response To: Problems with video stream from Californina State Championship (kinchan)

Howdy Yoshi,

Yep I know who you are ;-)

Is there a reason to use auto-focus at all? If the camera is at a fixed height from the board wouldn't turning it off be better and then manually focus so the board level is in focus (dice chequers etc.)

Most webcam software allows you to change the device(camera) configuration to turn off auto focus. Even the C910, C920 Logitech models have that feature http://lieksa.pp.fi/oh7fes/cameras/focus.htm . My guess is that the camera that was used by the USBGF in California has device settings to do the same.

I have now played with Wirecast and OBS. I don't have access to the Youtube Live version of Wirecast but based on playing with the Wirecast Free there is no reason to be using auto focus if you don't need to.

Wirecast Free is bad in one way - it watermarks the videos. The Free version of Wirecast for Youtube only works with Youtube but doesn't have watermarks. The Youtube specific version is available to download if you are a Youtube Live partner. It may be available to creators but I can't tell - I don't qualify (I need 100 subscribers). The cost of premium versions of Youtube Wirecast is much cheaper than the retail versions of Wirecast. Normal retail versions can publish to pretty much any site, where as the Youtube versions of Wirecast are specific to streaming to Youtube.

OBS ( http://obsproject.com/ ) is open source and although it has a minimalist GUI it actually does the job very well. It supports scenes and layering (with opaqueness), simultaneously allows for input from the desktop or application windows (and subregion) etc. I see how the Japanese videos managed to overlay parts of the XG window onto the top bottom and side of the live feed. It isn't overly difficult if you know what you are doing. Wirecast can do these things as well of course and has a more polished user interface.

I agree with you about having to really test things out before going live. I gather there was a lack of testing in California before hand. I also recall the USBGF person in the chat suggesting that there wasn't a person dedicated to making sure the live stream equipment and feed were functioning, nor was there someone to do advanced troubleshooting from what I could tell.

I am willing to be a guinea pig for any future testing the USBGF does, as are other people on BGO. USBGF just needs to ask.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.