[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ken's proposal

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Friday, 20 December 2013, at 10:36 a.m.

In Response To: Ken's proposal (Daniel Murphy)

Daniel, my database (shown at http://home.roadrunner.com/~kenlarsen/bgWorldRankingProposal.htm ) currently has only has 60 people who have played during 2009-2013 on the U.S. American Backgammon Tour (ABT). It's a long way from being complete for the entire world. Two impediments are: I had to manually collect data from draw sheets (five hours to do just ten people), and the point systems for non-U.S. tours are very different from the ABT. Barry Silliman is working on some software to solve the ABT manual data collection issue. If he succeeds, then I'll be able to display over 600 people for the ABT. Then, we can turn our attention to Europe and Asia. That'll be a challenge, because the ABT only assigns points to people who cash. In Europe, points are given to people just for showing up.

Regarding the 61 people on my list: If I were a voter, I'd seriously consider anyone with a rating of 1.800 or higher to be a contender for the Giants list. I'd look elsewhere for information to fill out my Giants list.

My proposal and data are very much in the inchoate state. Last month I began sharing it with the readers of this forum to give people a taste of what could be done if there were a way to solve the data collection issues.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.