[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The airing of grievances

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Thursday, 26 December 2013, at 1:13 p.m.

In Response To: The airing of grievances (Joe Russell)

Joe, I think you and Bill have raised some legitimate issues.

I agree with both of you that two years is too small a window to judge someone's backgammon skill. That's why I went with five years.

Regarding the weighting factors, I originally went with 5-4-3-2-1 for the year weighting factors. Math professor Igor Erovenko advised that I use the square roots of those numbers. It might be best to go with even less graduation. Similarly, a tweak could be made to the x (attendance) factor - to keep someone from ranking too high when they've only played a few events.

Thanks to some just completed data scraping software written by Barry Silliman, yesterday I added 35 more names to my sample data. I now have 97 names. Almost all are U.S. candidates on the Giants ballot.

It would be nice if I could add results from Master events, but those were never assigned ABT points. It should be possible to assign points retroactively to old events, but it'll take time to do that work.

Thanks for your feedback.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.