[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

E-Mail to Bill Davis on New Rules Questions

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 14 January 2008, at 9:25 p.m.

I'll let you all know if I get any feedback.

Bill --

I played in Jersey City this weekend and, of course, the new rules were in use for the first time.

Several questions arose, mostly surrounding the fast roll rule.

1) If Player B fast rolls and his dice are cocked. We assume he has initiated his roll and obviously he can't later double. However, must he re-roll before Player A finishes his play so that Player A may use foreknowledge of Player B's roll?

2) This created the most concerns. If Player B fast rolls and, in realizing he did so, quickly picks up his dice what happens? Let's assume everyone acknowledges the dice came to the rest and the numbers on the dice. Does Player B also forfeit his next play because he picked up his dice without making a play? In this circumstance Howard ruled, and I agreed with him, that the next play is not forfeited. Player B should return his dice to the table with the appropriate numbers and await Player A's completion of play. Sound right? It's not specifically addressed.

3) Also, what if Player B fast rolls and snatches them up after they come to rest but when there is some uncertainty as to the numbers? Howard here ruled, and what else could he do, that the roll is waived and doesn't count against Player B. All participants had agreed to the uncertainty. But, again, I assume he has forfeited right to cube on his next roll? Also, what if there is not uniformity of opinion as to what the numbers were or were not? Does the doubt go to the not guilty Player A? Can see real problems here. If it becomes widely known this is a way to circumvent the fast roll rule the unethical Player B can always snatch them up and claim he doesn't know what they are and therefore can't agree to Player A's opinion of what they were. And if Player A is unethical he could say they were Player B's worst number.

4) Also, as a bit of an aside but also at times related, if a videorecording of the match is being made can the video evidence be used by the director in making a decision? Instant replay controversies in backgammon !!! LOL. But it will come up.

Just some things to think about.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.