[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Playing on a Table or Computer in a Tournament

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Friday, 3 January 2014, at 8:27 p.m.

In Response To: Playing on a Table or Computer in a Tournament (phil simborg)

If two people wish to play on a tablet, that is fine by me (if TDs allow for it, and have rules in place to deal with it). However, I would only enter an event where it is an option and as I pointed out - I would politely decline.

In my business life I am big on technology, but when it comes to my personal life - I prefer leaving my cellphone home if I can. I don't wear a digital watch, I still use analog. I prefer face to face contact (or a phone call) to texting. And playing on a Backgammon board is more of an extension of the way I live my personal life - rather simple. And I like it that way!

So we are technically not in disagreement IF we are looking at "tablet optional". as long as I have the option to decline I won't complain. I'll leave it up to the TDs and rule makers to deal with the problems/issues in computer based play.

I think we may disagree on the statement that a move to computer/table based play may be more fun. That may be true for some, but not for others. I can't say what stats would look like but I think as you drop below the Open level people probably find playing on a tournament board with real checkers more fun (IMHO). When I start playing on the ABT (or other events) I would choose the Open level (I would be on the very low end of that level these days). Money really isn't the concern, but if I am going to an event I'd like to have fun with a chance to play some quality players.

I like to embrace technology when it is really needed, but if it isn't - I like old school!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.