[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I think I saw a unicorn..mythical triple bye at NY Metro

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 14 January 2014, at 2:56 a.m.

In Response To: I think I saw a unicorn..mythical triple bye at NY Metro (roadkillbooks)

I do not know Lynn's and Jeb's rationale for using a fresh draw Last Chance.

I do know that running a tournament is a thankless job and is a thin margin financial operation, at best.

I imagine some directors use a fresh draw Last Chance to keep as many players as possible until Sunday, thereby increasing the number of room nights in the hotel. An increase in the number of room nights may very well reduce or eliminate the costs of the ballroom in which the tournament is played. Conversely, if a progressive Last Chance is employed, some participants may leave earlier than they would with a fresh draw Last Chance; thus reducing room nights.

Unfortunately, such are the realities of directing a tournament. Certainly, it was quite rare and unusual that three participants in a random draw mini-quadrant did not participate in the Last Chance, providing Carter the bye-forfeit-forfeit scenario. It was purely random and by chance, Carter was the lucky beneficiary. He was not at fault in any way.

Unfortunately, those who choose not to participate in the Last Chance also do a selfish disservice to the person who bought them in the Calcutta and to those who may have bought back into the Calcutta 'team'. I know one player in the Championship division at the NYC Metro forfeited after losing his first match. This is grossly unfair and inconsiderate to fellow players.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.