[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I think I saw a unicorn..mythical triple bye at NY Metro

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Tuesday, 14 January 2014, at 6:03 p.m.

In Response To: I think I saw a unicorn..mythical triple bye at NY Metro (Bill Riles)

Riles said,"I imagine some directors use a fresh draw Last Chance to keep as many players as possible until Sunday, thereby increasing the number of room nights in the hotel. An increase in the number of room nights may very well reduce or eliminate the costs of the ballroom in which the tournament is played. Conversely, if a progressive Last Chance is employed, some participants may leave earlier than they would with a fresh draw Last Chance; thus reducing room nights."

I've heard this and similar arguments over the years and they are quite missguided. First of all lets look at Double Elim Events and compare. A DE event has players flowing directly into the the Conso so that sometimes they do go 0-3 and are out of the event on first day, occasionally by the dinner break. Note that for those with two losses, a DE event is EXACTLY the same as a Progressive LC event since players with two losses play immediately and are eliminated from either event with their 3rd loss.

So lets consider a typical ABT main event that starts on Saturday. Some may have their 3rd loss prior to the dinner break but are they really going to change their plans and check out of the hotel (certainly having to pay at least a half a day rate) and drive home? Many players fly anyhow and these days, changing a flight to go home early, if possible, usually costs more than an extra night at the hotel anyhow.

The other argument is that players who aren't staying at the hotel since they live near by won't come back on Sunday if they are eliminated Saturday. To this is say, "So what? Why does this matter?". The way to get eliminated players to come back on Sunday is to offer intriguing side events on Sunday and any JP's should be low rake. Patrick Gibson has Doubles on Sunday for those totally eliminated from the tourney, for example.

Progressive LC makes the entire event flow more smoothly and quickly and reduces chances for conflicts on Sunday and should be standardized.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.