[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My idea for a more skillful side event

Posted By: Frank Berger
Date: Tuesday, 14 January 2014, at 10:03 p.m.

In Response To: My idea for a more skillful side event (neilkaz)

I appreciate your approach to reduce the influence of luck, but I assume the conservatism in the BG community will strongly oppose.

- I dislike the first rule. Why only reduce to 2 when being on the bar? There are so many lucky 1-out-of-36 Jokers, that I don't understand why have a special case for this situation. I could agree with using 2 plays always, but this will change the game a lot and it will reduce skill. With doubles you often have so many moves.... so no I don't like that at all

- I'm not sure whether with your 2nd proposal only the moving player can ask for a reroll or you can let your opponent reroll too? The idea of a cancel cube is new to me and the parallelism to the ordinary cube makes it practically easy to use (just another cube on the board). It will reduce luck for two reasons
-- it reduces standard deviation because some jokers and anti jokers are killed
-- you have to weigh whether you give the cancel cube now or later

I've read a similar concept long time ago in "Goren: Modern Backgammon" where each player had one "reroll" per game. That had the advantage of making games between players of very different skill more interesting (the weaker player get's more retools), but for practical reasons I prefer your cancel cube.

ciao
Frank

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.