[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My matches in New York Metropolitan Open 2014

Posted By: Maik Stiebler
Date: Tuesday, 21 January 2014, at 10:54 a.m.

In Response To: My matches in New York Metropolitan Open 2014 (Jason Lee)

When I adjust for skill difference, the number at -5/C is going to have to change more than the number at C/-2 -- there's (on average) more backgammon to be played.

That statement tripped me up a bit, so I think it's worth commenting on. If you look at the absolute numbers, which you should, it is actually probably false; e.g. if you compare the entries in the Jacobs-Trice-100 table with those in the plain Jacobs MET, the difference of equities is greater at C/-2 than at -5/C. While the rest of the match is on average longer at -5/C, the -5/C game itself has much less at stake than the C/-2 game, and it may well be the only game left. C/-2 guarantees that there will be at least one important game.

That said, it is still hugely correct to adapt in the direction that you did, but that is because of all the scores that can be reached, the one where skill matters least is -5/0, which you can only reach by taking (and losing :-) ).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.