[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two Tough Checker Plays

Posted By: ah_clem
Date: Tuesday, 21 January 2014, at 8:05 p.m.

In Response To: Two Tough Checker Plays (Paul Weaver)

1) Blue is ahead by 14 pips, so making the anchor probably isn't the right idea - running is more thematic. Blue can't run now, of course, but why waste a roll making an anchor that you'll just want to break in a roll or two?

I'll make the 10 point here. It doesn't block much, but it does make for some awkward rolls for white. The buried chcekers mean it'll be unlikely to grow into a prime, but it does provide an impediment to white's movement.

Hitting is worth looking at with the 3 point board and 10 checkers in the zone, but i'm not seeing a good hit. I might hit loose on the 4 with a deuce or 7, but I'm not liking the hitting options. 11/8 6/5 seems pointless.

13/10 11/10

2) The eight point is crying to be unstacked so my first inclination is 8/4(2).

13/11(4)reduces the pressure from the holding game. The thing is, white's runner will be there for a while and 13/11(4) will almost surely create some blots from it's sheer awkwardness. We need to make a fourth point.

We can make a fifth point with 13/11(2) 6/4(2). Is this better than 8/4(2)? I don't know, but the stripped midpoint and the stack of six on the 8 look bad so I won't play that. I'll stick with 8/4(2) - make a new homeboard point, unstack the bloated eight point, keep some spares on the midpoint.

8/4(2)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.