[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Side Pools--New Ideas

Posted By: John Stryker
Date: Wednesday, 29 January 2014, at 7:26 a.m.

In Response To: Side Pools--New Ideas (Stick)

"The majority of reasons that make up for whether or not a tournament is well attended has nothing to do by and large with the entry fees."

Agreed. However, it's often not the majority (or preponderance) of reasons that is relevant. When choosing to attend or not, one large anti-reason can be cause to not attend, especially in comparison to other tournaments that could be chosen.

Rod's assertion was that entry fee was a complete non-factor. I disagree. Twenty years ago when I first moved up from intermediate, I would avoid the closest regional tournament to my home (Memorial Day), purely because my financial situation at the time couldn't handle the higher entry fee. One year I even dropped back to intermediate at that tournament since it was all I could afford.

Nowadays, money is more plentiful but time is not. My game has atrophied from lack of practice. The lower entry fee in Michigan is still attractive to this duffer, and I make the trip every year that my schedule can allow it.

Side note: the Michigan tournament has been in Novi for over twenty years. Does anyone else still subconsciously call it "Flint" as I do?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.