[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My Proposal for Giant-36 List Has Jake's Endorsement

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Thursday, 30 January 2014, at 5:44 a.m.

I ran this by Jake before posting. His endorsement is at the end of this post.

Everyone knows that there are 36 numbers on the dice and not 32. The number of greatest significance to backgammon players is 36 and not 32. I am therefore proposing that the Giant-32 list be changed to the Giant-36 list.

I think the reason they came up with the number 32 is because it is one of the numbers on the doubling cube. (Of course I know that there are no numbers on any double cube, only numerals.)

I am also proposing that the numerals on the doubling cube be changed from 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 to 2, 4, 9, 18, 36 and 72. This modification would serve various purposes: (1) By putting an odd number on the cube for the first time, it would promote diversity and demonstrate that we are not prejudiced against odd numbers. (2) It would also recognize that 36 is a backgammon number, while 32 is not. (3) It would make the game more interesting and challenging because it would change the cube action when redoubling from 4 to 9.

There is one more change that we should make in the backgammon world. Instead of using draw sheets that are designed to have 32 players without a bye, we should get some of our math PhDs to design a draw sheet of 36 players without a bye. Once again, the reason for making this change is that 36 is a backgammon number, while 32 is not. We have some brilliant guys (Doug Zare, Bob Koca, Jason Lee, Arthur Benjamin and Bob Wachtel), who surely are smart enough to figure out how to create a draw sheet for 36 players without byes.

Below this line is Jake's endorsement. _____________________________________________

I think Paul has identified three things needing improvement, and come up with worthwhile suggestions. The only complaint we at Giants Central ever hear is that "thirty-two names is not enough; I want to vote for more!" (If you don't count that whiny harp griping that some kid is trying to steal him.) Similarly, if the drawsheets are set up in brackets of 36, 72, or 144, you can reduce the brackets to threes, and everyone knows those are more interesting. I am at work on an update to Fish using your modified doubling cube, and will let the finished work serve as my comment.

Jake

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.