[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two Tricky Positions

Posted By: Igor
Date: Friday, 7 February 2014, at 3:46 p.m.

In Response To: Two Tricky Positions (Paul Weaver)

1. 24/22 6/5*

Magriel's criteria point to a safe play such as 16/13. However, while this move is safe for now our position might soon become inflexible with white improving hers in the meantime. So, I'd override Magriel in this case and try to do something right now when white has only 8 checkers in the zone. The obvious ace is then 6/5* (duplication of fours is a nice bonus). With such a loose hit it is thematic to bring another checker down from the midpoint in the opening, but in this position I'd rather step up with 24/22. Safe vs. bold criteria are not in our favor after all. There are several reasons I like 24/22 with the deuce:

• If white hits our blot on the 5pt we have a better chance to anchor up
  • It keeps our two back checkers connected
  • It duplicates fives for white

2. 24/21 13/7

I'm not looking for a fancy play in a mutual holding game. The race is close enough, so our checker on the 24pt is not where it belongs. I'd like to activate it, but running all the way to the outfield is a bit too much -- white would love to use a spare from the midpoint to hit it. So, I'll step up with the three keeping an eye on part of the outfield and getting ready to run with that checkers with an opportune roll. The only sensible six is then 13/7.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.