[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Re-review of Corbett's book

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 22 January 2008, at 7:08 a.m.

Since a few ppl approached me about Mike's new book I wanted to make my thoughts clear on his new book, to not piss him off more than anything. I didn't realize so many ppl actually paid attn. to what I said and though I barely know Mike, from what I know of him he's a nice guy and deserves the entire review.

Notable Notes

• I only read the first 20 or so pages of his book. Chris Yep was rooming with me and purchased it so I flipped through it one night in NY. This is what I am basing my review on, so it's completely possible that the review is unfair.

• The book, Backgammon Problems, felt more of a "bash Snowie" book than a backgammon book. We all know Snowie has many flaws, a lot of which we hope will be corrected if Snowie 5 ever sees the light of day, but to aim a book at this isn't entirely constructive for one's learning

• Why in today's computer age (fast processors and GNU is free) would you release a book and not use at least two bots' opinions? I understand they may have been articles to begin with, and that's acceptable I guess if that's what you're shooting with, but if you're putting out a book I expect more for my money.

• The rollouts from what I saw were substantially inconclusive. The most extensive I saw was 432 games - live cube, which meant the variance was through the roof. Chuck would have a hayday. Some other rollouts he said if they didn't show the # of trials they were rolled out "a lot". I forget the exact wording but it was completely ambiguous. If you're wasting the space to display the rollouts, why not include the # of trials?

• One of the first diagrams is a wrong diagram. To me this is sloppy. Everyone has to know someone as anal retentive both grammatically and visually, for lack of a better word, as myself. Have them proofread the fucker!

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.