[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Number of games necessary to get approx PR

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Wednesday, 12 February 2014, at 4:34 p.m.

In Response To: Number of games necessary to get approx PR (Keene)

Easier to Play against a Bot?

Keene wrote:

Finally, playing no Jacoby is almost pointless, as it also changes the landscape of the 'money game' environment dramatically. Switch that back on.

I don't think this is a one-size-fits-all decision. Different players will have different priorities.

For players such as myself, who still play most practice sessions against the bot in unlimited games, leaving Jacoby off creates a huge number of "too-good" decisions that otherwise are never faced when Jacoby is on. For me, the extra practice has been a real boon.

I have heard the argument about XG not getting into unusual checker positions before, but I don't really buy it. All sorts of checker positions arise all the time, both against humans and against the bot. And when a human makes gross errors in checker play, that usually just makes the game easier.

What I do agree with is that cube play is much different against mere mortals. As others have pointed out, the fact that almost every cube offerred by the bot will be a correct cube, simplifies the decision tree for takes. David Rockwell explained it best. In a non-volatile situation where the bot has not just rolled a joker (or you an anti-joker), probably the bot will have gotten in its cube before losing its market. You should be thinking take.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.