[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How a bad board was put to good use

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Thursday, 13 February 2014, at 5:34 p.m.

In Response To: You were talking about me. (phil simborg)

I did give that board to my son, not so much because the colors were confusing my opponents, but because it was also confusing me!

My son, Dan, lives "commune-style" here in Chicago and has a 9,000 sq. ft. loft where they hold parties and events and about 6 people live there, and there is some rotation with 3 other large lofts he controls around chicago that also have groups of people living there...they are a bunch of very talented and eclectic people involved in the arts and entertainment and education, and all frequent visitors to Burning Man.

Since I gave Dan a good backgammon board, his friends have become interested and I have given him 3 more boards so they have at least one in every location, and there is a game going on almost all the time in all locations. Each of the lofts hold classes and events of all kinds and more and more are being exposed to the game, and just having the board out on the table, with a set of my simplified rules and strategies and a board setup diagram, has started a wave of backgammon play in his peer group.

This has been an interesting experiment...it's not enough just to have the board available....new players get intimidated trying to remember how to set up the board and the basic rules, and having them handy is really helpful.

If anyone would like a set of the "simplified rules and strategies" and board setup diagram, shoot me and email and I'll send it to you.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.