[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Thank you/Comments/Lets Bring Back Tim Chow

Posted By: AP
Date: Thursday, 20 February 2014, at 4:55 a.m.

In Response To: Correction (John O'Hagan)

Excellent, thank you.

The big factor I missed originally is that if Blue takes and redoubles, he kills all of White's gammons...so Blue has massive recube vig in the original position. I also really like the logic you give regarding the auto-recube. If Blue auto-recubes (which would be a suboptimal play) and the decision is close, this strongly indicates a take.

Something else also clicked after reading your response. In the original post I asked if it is possible to combine XG's Cube Info numbers with the XG evaluation for win/gammon distribution to demonstrate a take is correct by 1%. I think the answer to this question is: you can't.

However, I was able to derive the 1% figure by using the View Statistics feature within a GNU rollout. There is an old post by Tim Chow on quantifying recube vig where he discusses this issue. Suffice it to say, I agree with Tim's views 100% and consider the fact that XG does not produce such statistics a serious limitation.

As an aside, I found Tim's posts to be contain some of the most enlightening material out of the entire bgonline archive, and I consider it a huge loss to this forum that he no longer posts here. I don't know why he left, but we should all try to get him back.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.