[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It was twenty years ago today.......

Posted By: Chris Bray
Date: Friday, 21 February 2014, at 6:51 a.m.

...... that The Independent newspaper in the UK published an article by me on the current state of the game of backgammon.

Initially it was meant as a one-off article but within a year it had become a regular feature on the new Games page, which was then edited by chess grandmaster, Bill Hartston. It helped that I had known Bill from my chess playing days, long before I discovered the wonders of backgammon.

Since then the column has appeared every Saturday - the only exception being the week after Princess Diana died in 1997 when the whole paper was devoted to her.

The column has since spawned seven books and more recently a website. My ambition is to outdo Boris Schapiro. He was still writing the Sunday Times bridge column at the age of 89 and had his best tournament year at the age of 88!

If you want to read the original article and a little bit of its history please visit my website: www.chrisbraybackgammon.com and look under the 'Position of the Day' tab.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.