[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Introducing Myself

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Friday, 21 February 2014, at 9:21 a.m.

In Response To: Introducing Myself (phil simborg)

Teach Your Kids What You Like, and Leave Me Alone To Teach Mine

You make some good points here, Phil.

My take away is more about the need for appearance rather than a concern over any actual damage done. Even if we accept the list of names you provide (which I do not), we are talking about a handful of people in a country of 300,000,000. Doesnít sound like backgammon has done a lot of damage to me. And besides, none of them died!

In my own case, I was taught as a child about gambling by my parents. We used to bet miniscule amounts on the Superbowl and on the Kentucky Derby. When I learned backgammon, we played for dimes. (But donít get excited. These dimes were round, and they all had FDRís picture on them.)

Your idea is that we need to kowtow to the moral beliefs of those who are intolerant of my father's view of gambling. Wrong-headed or otherwise, the people who hold those beliefs are community members and voters, and and they may throw up roadblocks as we attempt to grow the game of backgammon. I hear you. There is no doubt they will try. Be that as it may, I am not sure how far we should go to accomodate them.

By the way, did you notice the disconnect in your argument? You mentioned a series of names, asking whether the life energies of these people had been dissipated in backgammon. What you did not do, however, is establish that even one of them had won so much as a penny a child.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.