[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Wonderful

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Saturday, 22 February 2014, at 6:26 a.m.

In Response To: Wonderful (phil simborg)

The question is whether the ABT should hold events that offer money prizes to kids or not...."

The question is whether the USBGF or any volunteers that go into the schools to teach kids to play backgammon should encourage or advocate gambling.

Those are two extremely different questions. The answer to the second one is obviously "no." My answer to the first one is "yes." Honestly, this is the first I've heard that open, intermediate, novice and beginner flights in ABT tournaments are or should be only open to those 18 (or 21!) and over.

I think backgammon should be properly promoted as a mind sport the equal of chess or go. But then, I do not think tournament backgammon is "gambling" any more than tournament chess or go is. I think that if you think tournament backgammon is "gambling," then you should probably consider not promoting backgammon to anyone under the age of 21, period.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.