[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

hand rollouts?

Posted By: ah_clem
Date: Monday, 3 March 2014, at 9:27 p.m.

In Response To: The Decision (Mandm1951)

I think the rules are pretty clear that consulting a bot is out of bounds.

But my take is that other methods that would not be allowed in tournaments are probably OK here: looking at the pipcount, using pen and paper to count shots, consulting a reference position, reading an article about similar scenarios, consulting an MET, using a calculator instead of doing the arithmetic in your head, etc. I'm not exactly sure where to draw the line, but I don't think playing it out a couple of times is clearly outside the bounds. OTOH, a hand rollout that's long enough to generate significant results probably is.

My main reason for participating in these kinds of matches is to learn. Punching the position into XG isn't learning in the same way playing the position out yourself is.

All that said, I'm fine with a prohibition on hand rollouts. As for what to do about "rectifying" things, let's just make the call to ban hand rollouts going forward (or not) and move on.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.