[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Did someone mention Herb Gurland?

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Tuesday, 4 March 2014, at 2:23 p.m.

In Response To: Did someone mention Herb Gurland? (Taper_Mike)

Do you think Herb is the first person who ever accepted an illegal move to his advantage? Do you think he is the only one who ever made an opponent lose his turn because he picked up his dice before he was finished moving? Do you think Herb is the only person who ever took advantage of a player when he fast-rolled and made him either roll over if he rolled a great roll or made him keep it if it was a bad roll? Is there anyone else who ever got a penalty point when his opponent was late?

When you play golf in a tournament with someone and they accidentally ground their club in the trap for a 1-stroke penalty, do you waive it? If they step out of bounds on the basketball court do you allow them to keep the ball?

If you choose not to play the game to win under the rules of the game, where do you draw the line? Herb did what players have been doing in the ABT for years...it is what is expected and even "required" under the rules...to try to win using the rules. It is not poor sportsmanship at all. By the way, anyone who knows Herb Gurland will tell you he is one of the finest gentleman in the game.

I am not saying that winning a game because your opponent made a bonehead play is good for the game--that's why I think the rule should be changed. But if that is the rule, and you have the option to decide to impose a rule that is to your advantage (which I believe is a HORRIBLE OPTION to give to a person and another reason why the NLM rule should be trashed), you have a responsibility to make the decision that helps you win. My goal is to beat my opponent under the rules, and I expect him to do the same, and if he makes a stupid mistake and the rules give me the option to help him, I will not help him.

But if we have a rule that says if he makes a stupid mistake it is my ethical responsibility to help him, I will gladly do it, and I will enjoy the game more and we will all walk away happier about playing backgammon.

So isn't it time to stop all this crap and just change the damn rule!?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.