[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Istanbul tournament - FT system

Posted By: stw672
Date: Wednesday, 5 March 2014, at 11:09 p.m.

In Response To: Istanbul tournament - FT system (michael smith)

Hi Michael,

I hope that I am in a good position to respond to your queries as an international player who attended the Istanbul tournament and one who also helps organise backgammon tournaments.

1) The tournament was a huge success

2) International attendance was low but this probably tells you more about the marketing than about the tournament. Personally I would rather go to a tournament where they focussed on the quality of the experience for the players than on glossy brochures. And there were over 250 players. Who cares where they were from?

3) I am very comfortable with organisers playing in tournaments as long as everything is transparent and above board as it was in Istanbul. I should declare an interest here as I promote and play in the London Open (although I have nothing to do with the Tournament Direction at the event itself). The bottom line is that people who organise tournaments tend to want to play in them. Why organise a tournament otherwise?

4) There is a lot more to organising a tournament than directing on the day. There were a very experienced team of staff dealing with the day-to-day play in Istanbul. There were no occassions that I saw where there was a clash between someone playing and some organising that needed to be done. Indeed the whole event ran very smoothly.

5) Don't get me wrong but the Istanbul tournament will go from strength to strength with or without your participation. You have a lot more to lose from not going to it than it would lose from not having you attend. I hope that doesn't sound rude.

Any more questions drop me a line. It was the first time I have been to the tournament and I have no skin in the game but I loved it.

Sean

PS Come to the London Open in May: http://londonopenbg.weebly.com/

We'll make sure that you are well looked after!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.