[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What SHG does

Posted By: Steve Mellen
Date: Thursday, 6 March 2014, at 10:16 p.m.

In Response To: What SHG does (Michael Petch)

There is a concern in online play that doesn't really exist in live play. In both cases, you have the possibility that a player might get confused and turn a dead cube - and maybe that should be eliminated. But in online play, you also have the potential for someone to intentionally give a dead cube - say, at DMP - hoping that the opponent will misclick or otherwise misunderstand the situation and pass, thus ending the match. Obviously software shouldn't allow for this.

I guess in theory this could happen in live play too but I don't think any director is going to let someone win a match via a dropped cube at DMP.

Even if there are other servers besides FIBS that allow these cubes to happen (I think I have seen it on various small, poorly-designed servers), I don't think the argument that live play should mirror online play is a strong one in this context. In the online community, there is virtual unanimity that giving a pointless cube in hopes of a misclick by your opponent is an unsportsmanlike tactic, a cheap way of taking a shot. (It is similar to offering to "resign n" when a gammon is likely or assured.) Because it is considered unsportsmanlike, it is very rare to actually see such a cube, so I don't think an online player visiting his first live tournament would have any expectation that you can give a cube at DMP and hope the opponent will drop.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.