[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Wrong double rule

Posted By: Steve Mellen
Date: Thursday, 6 March 2014, at 10:23 p.m.

In Response To: Wrong double rule (phil simborg)

This happened to me once at a Bar Point Club event. I think I was trailing 2-away 4-away, I gave the cube, and later my opponent was winning the game and mistakenly tried to give it back to me. I don't want to embarrass my opponent, but he is a long-time tournament veteran and Open player who obviously knows better. He just had a momentary lapse.

Obviously it would be to my great advantage to take the cube and make it DMP, but the thought never seriously occurred to me. I said something like "come on, you can't do that," and handed the cube back to him. Still confused, he asked me "so does that mean you're passing?"

Some people would say that this cube should be allowed, but a cube in the Crawford game should be void because the cube is supposed to be out of play. I honestly don't see any reason why the rules should distinguish between the two cases.

I also know people who believe that if the cube is mistakenly offered in the Crawford game, not only are you allowed to accept it, but you can also recube later because the Crawford rule has somehow been "waived" by the offering of the first cube. To me this is flat-out ridiculous. It's like saying that if you make an illegal move, not only should your opponent be allowed to condone it, but he should also be allowed to start making illegal moves himself because the requirement to make legal moves has been waived.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.