[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What ruling body?

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Thursday, 13 March 2014, at 2:08 p.m.

In Response To: To Phil - +1 ; I know the answer:) (svilo)

I agree that the ruling body of any organization should make the rules for that organization, be it a country or a game. Backgammon has no one ruling body, and ultimately, as you said, the ruling body for each backgammon tournament is the TD. And right now, each TD, at least in the U.S. can have any rules he chooses. In some countries there is a Federation or organization that dictates the overall rules of the game. But regardless of who governs, the opinions of the players, particularly the most skilled and respected players in the game, should be considered. That's all that's happening here. No one here, including me, is doing anything but explaining what we feel the rules should be in hopes of convincing others to see the need for changing them and then, in turn, convince the TD's.

And it's working. All over the world TD's and Federations are changing to LM and also changing the wording and overall approach to the rules to encourage more personal responsibility to be good sports and to be fair and honest and police themselves.

As Michael Crane stated:

"Since adapting LM only I have had a pretty easy time directing Biba tournaments. It has even brought about an outbreak of sportsmanship."

When enough TD's and players hear statements like this; and statements from Mochy that the NLM rule is just wrong; and many others who say it is wrong to try to win a game or match the way the old rules allowed and encouraged; and when Jeb and others tell us they know people who have stated they had a bad experience in live backgammon because the people are so ruthless and punishing with the rules... it's this public opinion and outcry that is causing the rules to be changed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.