[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A difference in the rules--what's your take

Posted By: Keene
Date: Sunday, 23 March 2014, at 10:39 p.m.

In Response To: A difference in the rules--what's your take (phil simborg)

1. You are playing without a clock. Your opponent makes his move. He starts to pick up the dice and moves them, but does not actually pick them up. Then he decides to change his mind. You have not rolled. Is his move over or should he be allowed to change his move? Change the move.

2. Your opponent leads 2away/4away and holds a 2 cube. He forgets he is 2-away and redoubles to 4. If you realize his mistake, are you "honor-bound" to point it out or can you accept the cube? If you accept the cube, and the error is discovered right away, is the cube dead? If it is discovered right after the match, what then? (Same thing applies to cubes give at Crawford.) Cube is dead, cube action does not count.

3. You opponent puts his own checker on the bar instead of yours by mistake. You notice this. Should you have to point it out, or should you simply play on?Point it out. Expect that the correct checker will be placed on the bar.

4. Your opponent is on the bar and rolls a 6-5 which enters. He thought he rolled a 6-6 and picked up his dice. Then he realizes his mistake. Should he be allowed to correct it if you haven't rolled yet? Should he be allowed to correct it if you have rolled? If you noticed the mistake, should you point it out and let him come in?Illegal play, opponent must play legally. If I had already rolled, I would ask that opponent play previous roll legally, and I then re-roll.

5. Your opponent clearly hit your checker and clearly intended to hit, but accidentally picked up his dice before he lifted your checker to the bar. The move could have been played legally without a hit. Should you let him put the checker on the bar or is he out of luck? Play legally. Mistake needs to be corrected.

6. Your opponent clearly reaches for the cube but does not touch it or say that he is cubing. Is he obligated to double? Didnt touch it, no cube, no obligation.

7. Your opponent states that if you double he will take. If you then double, should he be obligated to take is not? Thats a point of honor isnt it. So, its up to opponent.

8. Your opponent likes to take lots of pictures with his smart phone. Should he be obligated to state what his move or cube action will be before he takes the picture? I like it this way - its also what I would do, announce then take the reference picture.

9. Your opponent says that he needs a bathroom break. Should he be allowed to do this in the middle of a game or must he wait until between games? Lets not be mean - if its urgent, then he can go during, however, it is his responsibility to take a reference picture if he does - meaning I expect no quibbling about board position if this happens.

10. Your opponent likes to use a baffle box. You don't. Is he allowed to use the baffle box even though you don't if you don't want him to? So long as a legal shake of the dice occurs, and the rules regarding that are followed, I have no problem with my opponent using the baffle box, even though I prefer not to.

11. Both players are fast-rolling most of the match. Then, suddenly, on an important roll, one player says the other player's roll doesn't count because he fast rolls. Should he have lost his right to call a fast roll if he wasn't calling it or warning his opponent earlier? (Of course there would have to be some testimony of witnesses or agreement by the players that there has been fast rolling previously, but assuming this is the case and all players are honest, what should the rule be?) Its dangerous territory to suddenly enforce a rule that hasnt been observed throughout the match. If the actions by both players have been recognized as consistent, then that consistency stands - I think.

12. A spectator sees one of the players writing down the wrong score. Should he speak up? Yes.

13. A spectator sees that the clock has been left running accidentally--should he speak up? Yes.

14. A player rolls the dice then quickly picks them up saying they were cocked. The other player believes they were not cocked. How should this be settled? Fight! Kidding. The roll as originally rolled should stand. For any cocked dice situation, both players must agree prior to the dice being lifted. I understand there are some situations whereby its an obvious cocking (die on a checker, wrong side etc), and I think its reasonable to grab those, but if there is an angle on the resting die, then that needs to be confirmed by opponent.

I get that there are awkward things with the rules, but ultimately, the rules need to be there to protect the players, not to punish. The spirit of the game, and fairness are the keys that I find to be critical.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.