[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Mores Swiss Please--An appeal to tournament directors

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Friday, 28 March 2014, at 12:22 p.m.

I will not presume to speak for anyone but myself here, and I hope others will speak up, but I would love to encourage anyone planning on running a backgammon tournament in the future to use the Swiss or a Modified Swiss movement.

Consider the many advantages:

1. Everyone knows they will get to play a given number of matches before being knocked out.

2. Everyone can lose a match or two and still be in the hunt, so we are not victim to one or two unlucky matches to ruin the entire weekend;

3. With clocks employed, we know exactly when every round starts. Scheduling is a dream. And if I finish a match early I can go enjoy a nap, drink food etc. and know exactly when my next match starts.

4. The format of continuing to match the winners with the winner and losers with the losers is ultimately the most fair competition, negating the horrible advantages and disadvantages created by the typical random draw.

Everyone wins with a Swiss movement, so please, if you are planning a tournament, please think about this approach.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.