[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Less Swiss Please--An appeal to tournament directors

Posted By: AdamStocks
Date: Friday, 28 March 2014, at 2:39 p.m.

In Response To: Mores Swiss Please--An appeal to tournament directors (phil simborg)

I disagree with all those points:

1. Everyone knows they will get to play a given number of matches before being knocked out

Once you have lost a couple of matches, the rest are dead. I don't want to waste time playing dead matches.

2. Everyone can lose a match or two and still be in the hunt, so we are not victim to one or two unlucky matches to ruin the entire weekend;

That's a bit of a red herring because to win a Swiss you generally have to have only one loss maximum, so a loss is pretty devastating anyway.

3. With clocks employed, we know exactly when every round starts. Scheduling is a dream. And if I finish a match early I can go enjoy a nap, drink food etc. and know exactly when my next match starts.

TD's can and should schedule the format such that it runs nicely on time in the first place.

4. The format of continuing to match the winners with the winner and losers with the losers is ultimately the most fair competition, negating the horrible advantages and disadvantages created by the typical random draw.

Random opponents is more realistic - using a winners v winners and losers v losers system helps the weaker players too much.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.