[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tiered entry in Charlotte -- 2013 stats

Posted By: TarHeelFan
Date: Saturday, 29 March 2014, at 12:26 a.m.

There was a fair amount of discussion last year about the new Tiered Entry system that I used in Charlotte last year. I charged a flat registration fee, and did not rake any main event pools. The link gives full details with examples. Each division had 2 optional side pools. In the Championship, there was also a required $175 entry fee, but the Advanced and Novice had the option of paying only the registration fee. In that case, they would play for points and trophies, but no prize money.

In the Championship, 76% of players entered the 1st optional pool, and 24% entered both optional pools.

In the Advanced, 2 players opted to play for no prize money. The rest entered the first optional pool, and 65% entered both optional pools.

In the Novice, ALL players entered the first optional pool and 29% entered both optional pools. No Novices chose to complete for just points and trophies.

Response was overwhelmingly positive. Players were able to play at levels they found comfortable, and the overall payouts were very much in line with what I would expect from a more traditional entry fee structure. Using Swiss payouts made it very simple to track who cashed in which pool(s).

We'll be doing the same thing in 2014. I'm happy to answer any other questions anyone has about it.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.