[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Who?

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Tuesday, 1 April 2014, at 3:08 a.m.

In Response To: Two Thumbs Up (Dmitriy Obukhov)

I am not about to say that Phipps or anyone selected should not be on the team...it looks awfully strong to me, including Phipps. And I have no idea who was asked and not asked or who can't or won't go. But it isn't hard to look around and see other players which clearly might be as good as some of the players. Off the top of my head, The LA Three of Sax, Wachtel and Russell are pretty amazing; who would bet against Nack if he would play? Petko and Weaver and Malcom and Kit and Robertie and Senk and O'Hagan and O'Laughlin and Stick and Akiko and Stepan and Dimitriy have all distinguished themselves significantly.

I am not about to say that any one of these should be considered ahead of any one selected, but it would be interesting to see if they were ruled out because they would not come or because the team did not think they were good enough.

I think MCG's comment about it starting with him and Falafel and Mochy and Michy is awfully hard to fault...and I haven't heard anyone challenge that.

A bigger question is this: what SHOULD the selection process be? Who SHOULD decide how it is done. Right now, there is no "should" and the people who have done the selection thus far have shown that they certainly haven't made any major mistakes by putting a donkey (like me) on the team. Even if an alternate isn't quite as good as maybe one or two that could have been selected, it's a pretty clear bet he's close.

As to the idea of making this a more world-wide, representative group, for once in my life I disagree with Chiva...this is not about a world championship or olympics where every county is represented...it's about the best in the entire world against Denmark, and if half come from the U.S. and the other half happen to come from Japan right now, that's the way it should be. No question if Ralf or Jorgen or Francois wanted to play they should be given strong consideration, but I understand that is not the case.

Looks pretty fair to me, but I'd still like to know if some of the great players I mentioned were ruled out because of lack of availability or because they simply were not thought to be as strong as those selected.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.