[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Terminology

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 3 April 2014, at 6:00 p.m.

In Response To: Bagai'ed again: 1 on the bar (Keene)

I don't see a problem with "Bagai." For comparison, we already have "Pottle."

Since last fall, I've been trying to categorize all my errors. That is, I have several dozen folders, each with a different name (e.g., early blitz cubes, pay now or pay later, making the 5pt). Many of these folders have subfolders; e.g., in my blitz checker folder I have "point or hit," "point or build," "point or escape", "hit or build", "hit or escape," "build or escape", and several others. Every time I make an error that I want to file, I try to find one or more folders/subfolders to put it in, and if nothing fits, I create a new folder. So I've given quite a lot of thought to the issue of a good naming system for tough decisions. Something like "Bagai" is actually really nice because it is narrowly defined and instantly understandable. I do have a folder called "Bagai" and it contains enough examples to be interesting but not so many that it requires subcategorization. I think that if I were to use either of your alternative suggestions, I would be scratching my head a lot more about which positions to file under that heading, and I would probably soon find myself subcategorizing anyway.

In short, I think we should be thankful for the serendipity that has given us the excellent name "Bagai" for this type of decision and should not throw this gift away lightly.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.