[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Move Over Stick, Sax We Need an Edit

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Saturday, 2 February 2008, at 3:10 p.m.

I was quite amused last night when a twenty year old 'acquaintance' of mine -- whom I'd not talked to in close to a year -- informed me had greatly improved his game, was now only playing 'professionally', and had netted $25,000 last month playing on-line against 'the best players from all over the world'. The coup de grace -- if you can believe there is more -- was that over his last 300 matches he has averaged a 2.6 total error rate.

Now he is a decent enough guy but with all the cockiness, arrogance, and know-it-all attitude that might be expected with his age -- this guy makes the Stickster look meek and humble.

I know there are a lot of fish from all over the world on-line and, if you are diligent in cherry-picking your competition, you may do quite well. However, after gently explaining that I didn't really believe him after the first statement and, after the second, I certainly didn't believe him, he took great offense. My arguments that no one in the world can sustain such an average and that he would be laughed out of top backgammon circles with such audacious claims dissuaded him not. As he stood by his statements, I told him I could probably line him up plenty of 'easy' action among 'some of the not so best players in America' (tongue in cheek), and would gladly do so, were he willing to demonstrate his recently developed proficiency and prowess over a live board with witnesses and cash on the table. (He's never even played in a live tourney beyond a local city tourney.)

I'm awaiting his response, will keep you informed.

Any takers?

Even mediocre me has a significant winning career record against the guy -- but it's been a year ...........

Maybe I should offer to take him to Chicago, if he can get off from his massage school classes (seriously). I could be famous for discovering the next prodigy.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.