[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

55P-65 and 41T-55P-51

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Saturday, 12 April 2014, at 11:39 p.m.

In Response To: Which bar? #1 (54S-44P-61) -- spoiler (Timothy Chow)

Nack, I probably won't roll out your suggested variant.

Okay, I've added it (64R-32D-F-65P-61) to my queue.

Another variant, less closely related and less plausible as an actual position but still instructive IMO, is 52S-55P-61.

That does look instructive. To make it even better, I suggest that you move the checker on the bar to the 24pt by changing the sequence to 41T-55P-51, which includes your U and D candidates by transposition and adds two more. Though neither U nor D is best, one can still compare them to each other. (One can even roll out only U and D, with the option of adding $ and/or S to the rollout later.)

Another advantage, to the extent you might care about such things, is that opening 41T is not such a bad error as 52S-55P (which, as I'm sure you have realized, must be at least a double-whopper). Moreover, the 41T error can be repaired by prefixing a modified reopening sequence. See the caption of the first diagram below.

Another alternative is to not only move the checker on the bar to the 24pt, but also move the second 8pt spare back to the midpoint and change the roll to 65 (so what we end up with is 55P-65). Again, by transposition, both your intended candidate moves of U (which becomes S) and D are retained plus a useful third candidate (R) can be added for comparison. This time I've prefixed a pure reopening sequence to 55P-65 (to legalize it). See the second caption below.

Nack

White is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 147
Unlimited Game
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 162

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-b----E-D---cD---c-e--b-B-:0:0:1:15:0:0:3:0:10

62S-41X-43H-61H-51R-65T-55P-51
(a well-played sequence in lieu of 41T-55P-51)

White is Player 2

pip: 147
Unlimited Game
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 167

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-b----E-C---cE---c-e--b-B-:0:0:1:65:0:0:3:0:10

62S-41X-43H-61H-51R-51D-55P-65
(a legal, well-played sequence in lieu of 55P-65)

These two positions can be viewed side by side if you widen your window.

........Nactation tutorial (For larger text, click on the double-arrow to the right of “Bookmarks”)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.