[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Time trouble

Posted By: Robert Chow
Date: Sunday, 13 April 2014, at 1:43 a.m.

In Response To: Time trouble (Timothy Chow)

I agree the tendency to get into time trouble has more to do with personality than with playing strength. With certain players, regardless of the time control, they seem to be short of time on the clock in virtually every game. In my early years as a chessplayer, the time control was 2 1/2 hours(!) for the first forty moves. Still, I saw repeatedly the same players getting into a time scramble. It looked like they almost relished the challenge and in many cases they were up to it.

I think Ivanchuk, or "Chucky" as he is affectionately known, is a chess genius. Yes, I know the word "genius" is overused and has lost a lot of its currency but in Chucky's case, it does fit. Many years ago, in his heyday as world chess champion, Kasparov made the controversial statement: "There are only four really chessplayers in the world." Besides Kasparov himself obviously, Ivanchuk was on that short list.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.