[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon variant with slightly non-random dice

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Sunday, 20 April 2014, at 2:45 a.m.

In Response To: Backgammon variant with slightly non-random dice (Timothy Chow)

I would have a great advantage in this game over most players. Why? Because I can play a hand of gin rummy and tell you every card that has been played, and at the end of the hand I can tell you what two cards are remaining in the deck or are in my opponent's hand. Over the years, I have learned to know every card played. Any good bridge player can certainly tell you every card played from the beginning to the end of a hand. And of course, any blackjack counter has these skills.

So in this game, if I know that most of the 6's are not in the deck, or that lots of the 5's are gone, I can change my plays accordingly.

Now, if you were to take a program like eXtremeGammon to play this game, in order to play correctly it absolutely must change its plays depending on what rolls have been used and which remain.

In short, I love this variation not just because I believe it gives me an advantage (because in time, every good player will learn to remember which rolls are gone), but because it adds a new element to the game...changing your checker play and cube decisions based on the new odds of rolling certain numbers. Just imagine how you would play a switching play in your inner board if you know the 3-3 is no longer a possible roll! Just imagine how you might cube a racing position much sooner if the high doubles are gone and there is less chance for your opponent to catch up.

Also imagine when you get down to a small number of cards in the deck and you know what all of them are, and you are deciding whether to play for a 6 or a 3 to cover!

This seems like one of the best variations ever, and I would particularly like to play down the entire deck, or at least most of the deck, before reshuffling.

I will start working on the appropriate baffle box for this right away. (No cocked cards, no cards on the floor, no dealing from the bottom...)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.