[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

two reasons--response was directed to Koca

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Monday, 21 April 2014, at 9:36 a.m.

In Response To: two reasons (Stick)

My comment about being surprised about not liking this variation was directed toward Bob Koca...he seemed to be the one with negative feelings because of all the work required to remember which rolls have been used.

Adam summed it up beautifully. It is easy to remember the 6-5 is gone if you remember that was your opponent's first roll, then easy to remember the 3-1 is gone if that is what you rolled on the second roll, etc. Even looking at the board will remind you not only what rolls were used, but even in what order.

I am sure there are other methods that can be created such as ticking off rolls visually in your head as they are used, but that would be quite difficult for me to do instead of remembering contextually. Since I am able to remember 52 cards when playing hearts, bridge, and gin, I think 36 cards in backgammon would be even easier once I played a few times.

The problem is, when you have a fun and interesting variation like this, you won't get to play it very often. I only have a handful of people willing to play gin rummy with the doubling cube, even though it is my favorite game and most who try it agree that it is a terrific improvement over straight gin rummy. It greatly adds to the action and gambling aspects of the game as well as the complexity of the game.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.