[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT sort of: Millionaire Chess to Hit Las Vegas, in Gambit to Raise Game’s Profile With Big Prizes

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Monday, 1 September 2014, at 3:53 p.m.

In Response To: OT sort of: Millionaire Chess to Hit Las Vegas, in Gambit to Raise Game’s Profile With Big Prizes (Mike Clapsadle)

Mike Clapsadle wrote:

I'm amazed that they have never had a million dollar prize pool in chess before.

The Candidates' Tournaments have come close, and the last World Championship paid out about $2.5 million. But these weren't anything like this event.

Probably do to there being little to no luck involved, therefore fewer players feel they have a chance of actually winning.

Yes. Although you say you're amazed that there has never been an event like this before, I am on the contrary amazed that these folks are attempting it. They know they're going to lose money, and are doing this with an eye to making money in the future. But I'm having trouble believing in their business plan.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.