[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Šibenik Backgammon Quiz 2014. - SOLUTIONS

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 21 September 2014, at 5:32 p.m.

In Response To: Šibenik Backgammon Quiz 2014. - SOLUTIONS (Mislav Kovacic)

Good quiz! I just got around to taking it last night. I got 7 out of 12. The ones I got wrong were 1, 7, 9, 10, and 11. The one I feel most embarrassed by is #11 which I dropped. Also I feel I should have gotten #9 right.

Problem #7 is the one I think is the most subtle. If you move Black's checker on White's 3pt to White's 1pt then 8/4* 7/4 comes out on top. But in the given position, because Black is already at the edge of your five-prime, you gain a lot more by defending yourself against the opponent's prime than by improving your own.

In Problem #5 I believe that part of the benefit of 3/2 is the duplication of 6's (i.e., instead of giving your opponent both 61 and 51 as jokers you give only 61). That's how I reasoned, anyway.

In Problem #6 I didn't explicitly count return shots but just looked at duplication.

Problem #8 should be a pretty good discriminator because you can actually work it out by pure logic and don't have to have any backgammon experience or bots or anything. If someone gets this wrong then I would regard it as a strong predictor that they will get wrong most other problems that require calculation rather than just gut feel.

In Problem #12 I suspect that the main effect of Black's 1 checker off is not that it increases his winning percentage but that it eliminates his gammon losses.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.