[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Suggested Idea for Performance Grading

Posted By: Rick Janowski
Date: Friday, 3 October 2014, at 1:14 a.m.

Mochy’s 4.0 club criteria has set a new standard for excellence which I believe is very beneficial for the future of the game we love (well most of us). I wondered whether the idea could be extended to provide a series of performance grades similar to the international chess grades. Here is my tentative proposal for correlating long-term fair PR-rates with the following suggested grades:

Candidate Master (CM): average pr rate of 6.0 or better from 10 consecutive live tournament matches of 7 points or over under clocked conditions.

Master (M): average pr rate of 5.0 or better from 10 consecutive live tournament matches of 7 points or over under clocked conditions.

International Master (IM): average pr rate of 4.0 or better from 10 consecutive live tournament matches of 7 points or over under clocked conditions. (Equivalent to the criteria for membership of the Mochy 4.0 club)

Grand Master (GM): average pr rate of 3.5 or better from 20 consecutive live tournament matches of 7 points or over under clocked conditions.

Super Grand Master (SGM): average pr rate of 3.0 or better from 30 consecutive live tournament matches of 7 points or over under clocked conditions.

Match win-rate criteria could also be used by normalising the win rate to what would be expected against a Master (pr rate of 5) and then computing equivalent pr-performance. However, to provide the same reliability as the true pr-level criteria, a much bigger sample size would be required.

I would be very interested to know others opinions on this approach and on the pr-levels tentatively suggested.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.