[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Stupid bearoff rolls

Posted By: Keene
Date: Wednesday, 29 October 2014, at 4:04 p.m.

So, I came across the semi-common bearoff problem where you roll a number thats just not clean, and forces you into an imperfect structure. While looking at it, I recalled something that MCG (I think) said about these positions, something along the lines of how big the gap between the rear usable spare and the next usable spare is, but I dont recall it completely! In fact, only vaguely! Also, imperfectly!

So, whats the rule here? I think its something along the lines of "at most leave a 1 spare checker gap".

Obviously, this is almost greek without solid examples:

The score (after 0 games) is: Jack 0, Keene 0

Move number 5: Keene to play 41

Jack125

' '2X2X2X2X2X2X1X ' ' '

2O2O2O2O2O2O ' ' ' ' ' '
Keene42
Position ID: bNsWAGDbtgEAAA Match ID: QQkGAAAAAAAA

The score (after 0 games) is: Jack 0, Keene 0

Move number 5: Keene to play 41

Jack125

' '2X2X2X2X2X2X1X ' ' '

3O3O3O2O2O2O ' ' ' ' ' '
Keene48
Position ID: bNsWAGB3tw0AAA Match ID: QQkGAAAAAAAA

The thing I am trying to describe here is in position 2, you can clear the rear point leaving 3-4-3-2-3-0 (1 checker gap), in position 1, it goes to 2-3-2-2-3 (2 checker gap).

What variables are at play here, and how do you quickly decide OTB which way to play it?

The key here is that you need to have the option of clearing the rear, clearing the 5 or clearing the 4 - or whatever the corollaries are for an equivalent 5-1 roll, or 3-1 roll.

Help appreciated!!

K

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.