[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I just could not run here

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Monday, 3 March 2008, at 10:48 p.m.

In the first Chicago blitz, I was faced with this problem in the first game. Two rolls before it occurred, I started squirming in my seat because I knew that this decision would come and I had no idea as to the best play.

I just could not yield to an 0 - 4 start without a fight. I stayed and got backgammoned. My opponent politely told me that he would have ran. Chuck said that I think that you should run at this point. Then, I met for the first time one of my great master teachers. I said, "Excuse me, Professor Kazaross.." He kept walking a bit. "Mr. Kazaross, Please wait. I want to introduce myself." He stopped and looked at me. I reached out my hand and stated that I was Stanley Richards from BgOnline and GammonU. Of course, Neil was very warm and friendly towards meeting a fellow 'club' member. I have also enjoyed the slight surprises on my club members faces when they first meet me. I do not resemble the typical backgammon enthusiast.

Then, Neil got started analyzing this problem. It was astonishing to hear this master quickly and effortlessly recite match score statistics, calculate shot possibilities, the likelihood of hitting the shot, the likelihood of escaping from the backboard if the shot was missed, and the remote possibility of avoiding the gammoned if I ran initially. I asked him, "Can you actually compute these numbers OTB?" His answer pissed me off. :-) Hell, I'm not that smart. But, I was pleased that he agreed that my decision to stay was a close call. He suspected that running was best.

What do you think?

Stanley

The score (after 0 games) is: Gnu 0, Black 0 (match to 5 points)

Move number 9: Black to play 53

Gnu10

1O2X2X ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

2O2O2O3O3O '1O ' ' ' '1O

Black82

Position ID: NgAAYNudIAAEAA Match ID: UYmuAAAAAAAA

• Black moves 12/4

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.