[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Not reminding your opponent to press the clock

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Wednesday, 24 December 2014, at 6:04 p.m.

In Response To: Not reminding your opponent to press the clock (Timothy Chow)

Sportsmanship seems to be one of those things that is difficult to define and therefore difficult to judge and virtually impossible to enforce.

Except for raw newbies I don't remember ever seeing the situation you describe. You could certainly ask "are you done" but it's not unheard of for a player to move the checkers (completely, as in legally completed) but still contemplate whether s/he wants to reset.

The situation sita mentions is quite common -- forgetting to hit the clock after offering a (re)double. What reason could the doubler possibly have for not hitting the clock? S/he certainly can't retract the cubeturn.

Another common situation is for the clock to continue to run at the end of a game (dropped cube, conceded race, etc.).

In the case you mention I would initially assume my opp is thinking but if after 10 secs or so I either see indications of inattentiveness or no signs of contemplation then I probably will ask, certainly if it's a potentially inexperienced (with the clock, that is) player.

For the other two cases I would not look forgivingly upon an experienced player IF I felt his/her inaction was intentional. But that's where the difficulty enters because it's not easy to know if that player even noticed that the clock was burning up the opponents time. Repeated questionable actions, though, erodes the uncertainty.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.