[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Not reminding your opponent to press the clock

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 24 December 2014, at 7:58 p.m.

In Response To: Not reminding your opponent to press the clock (Casper Van der Tak)

I can understand that there is a convention that good sportsmanship dictates reminding the opponent about the clock.

What I don't agree with is that "would you want to win that way" is a meaningful argument for that convention. One can equally well ask, would you want to win a match on time for any reason? My answer is, probably not. That doesn't mean that I oppose the usage of clocks in a tournament. Similarly, would I want to win because my opponent rolls a joker but fails to see the obvious way to play it? Maybe not, but does that mean it's poor sportsmanship not to point out the missed play? Would I want to win because my opponent stayed up too late the night before and was tired? Probably not, but I'm not going to check on my opponent the night before and urge him or her to go to bed early.

It's just a convention, and different communities draw the line in different places.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.