[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Not reminding your opponent to press the clock

Posted By: Stick
Date: Thursday, 25 December 2014, at 4:14 p.m.

In Response To: Not reminding your opponent to press the clock (Timothy Chow)

Let's be clear about a few issues that were brought up in the rest of this thread.

In saying that you ought to let your opponent know if their clock is running low in no way am I (or anyone I think) that it will be both players' duty to keep track of the time for their opponent. What I'm simply saying is that if you notice it you should mention it when you get the chance.

That brings me to point number two, 'when you get a chance'. I thought common sense would dictate what even Chuck understood, you do this at a point it will in no way distract your opponent such as in between games or on your turn.

It is also suggested that with a dice roll and play move combined with not punching the clock we have no way of knowing if they've finished their turn or if they're still thinking about their play. While this could certainly sometimes be true it often isn't. Backgammon is a game where a lot of moves are dead obvious to all players once you reach a certain level. You can often be sure their turn was meant to be over by the roll and obviousness of the play alone.

On top of that if you're at all perceptive you can often tell when someone disengages from their turn. It isn't this big shrouded mystery that nobody could possibly know if someone has finished their turn since they didn't hit the clock. Most players don't set up moves and look at them for any extended period of time to begin with so take the hint.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.