[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Playing without a clock is not the answer

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 26 December 2014, at 7:04 a.m.

In Response To: I do want to win that way (Fatboy)

The answer is to have good rules and guidelines for everything. Part of the reason for this debate is because not everyone has read the existing rules and guidelines and part of it is because people are really debating what they believe the rules should be. Debates here, by highly skilled and experienced players, is a wonderful forum that has and will continue to shape what the rules will eventually be. On this and many other points about the rules and standards of good sportsmanship, many of the newest rules that have been written and adopted have been revised because of some of the very excellent points made on this forum and because enough highly-respected people expressed their opinions strongly. (For example, without the strong opinions of people like Neil and Falafel and Mochy and many others, the U.S. and many other areas probably would not have changed to Legal Moves.)

Now, specifically to the clock: just because we don't all agree exactly what is right or wrong or fair or what the rules should be does not mean we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. Clocks not only keep tournaments moving, they keep individual games and matches moving to the extent that once you have played with clocks you will absolutely hate playing without them. I even would prefer to use clocks in private money games and chouettes. It's not just a matter of saving time...clocks add a skill dimension to the game and make it much more fun for both players and spectators.

I recently played a match in a side event at a tournament and my opponent and I agreed to use a clock even though it wasn't mandatory, and we even agreed to play with speed-gammon settings. It was one of the most enjoyable matches I had the entire weekend. In fact, I would like to see more side events with speed-gammon settings so more people could experience the fun of playing faster.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.