[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Don't overthink

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Saturday, 27 December 2014, at 3:38 a.m.

In Response To: Don't overthink (mochy)

I think a key difference between the chess and bg scenarios is that in competitive chess (and usually also non-competitive, I believe) when you legally move a piece that is it, you can't reconsider your move; in bg you can (sadly, IMHO). Therefore, I find it difficult to disagree with Mochy that they are wrong in chess to consider it acceptable/ethical behaviour not to point out the lack of the opponents clock press.

Change the bg rules allowing tentative moves and then there is no doubt in my mind that we should point out the omission. As it stands, there are scenarios where it could be very uncomfortable for a player to know whether to say anything to the opponent. That is regrettable IMHO.

It also seems strange to me that we are (rightly) not allowed to tentatively cube/take - in case we obtain info from our opponents body language - yet we are allowed to do so with chequer plays.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.