[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Not reminding your opponent to press the clock

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 28 December 2014, at 7:19 p.m.

In Response To: Not reminding your opponent to press the clock (Taper_Mike)

I've never played in a backgammon tournament so I can't answer those questions directly. Before I play in one, I'll make sure to find out what the accepted community conventions are and I'll abide by them to the best of my ability. When I don't know what the conventions are, I'll make my best guess, usually erring on the side of what is less favorable to myself since I'll run less risk of being accused of cheating. In the case of the starting setup, I don't know what the conventions are, so I would make a guess that I'm supposed to correct the position, and also because that's what seems less likely to get me accused of cheating. I would not be completely sure, though, since again this is one area where backgammon differs from chess, in that "illegalities" are generally tolerated more in backgammon than in chess. For example, in chess, if an illegal move is noticed later on, the usual convention is that the game is rolled back to the illegal move and restarted from there with a legal move. I don't think this is done in backgammon even if "legal moves" are in play.

In chess, I have allowed my opponent's clock to tick away, because that's standard practice in chess.

I get the impression that those who are criticizing the chess practice have not played serious tournament chess for any length of time.

I still stand by my statement that what is unseemly is in the eye of the beholder, which I thought was the real question.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.