[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Not reminding your opponent to press the clock

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Tuesday, 13 January 2015, at 4:21 p.m.

In Response To: Not reminding your opponent to press the clock (Timothy Chow)

I used a clock for the first time in the New York event, and was grateful to my opponent, Carter Mattig for schooling me in its proper use and for being patient with my continual clumsiness in grabbing the dice.

Phil asks "If you don't win when the clock runs out, there is no reason to have a clock."

I see a very clear reason: to maintain an appropriately brisk pace of match play to keep the tournament moving. In fact, I thought that was *the* reason to have a clock.

It seems to me that if a match runs long because games happen to be of small value (a lot of 1-pt-ers), allowing the clock to dictate the winner just because one guy was marginally quicker than the other (30 seconds over the course of 40+ minutes) has nothing to do with backgammon.

What would be the harm of instituting some 'bonus time' for both players when, say, a match exceeds x games, or when *both* players sink below the 1-minute mark? If the point is to keep the tournament from dragging, this would suffice.

NOTE: I'd like to point out that I AM NOT the "Albert" Phil mentions in his anecdote earlier in this thread! That's some other Albert -- there are two Albert's in town now, and I'm the other one.

Albert Steg Cambridge, MA

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.