[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Position from Madison 2007

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Thursday, 13 March 2008, at 9:54 p.m.

OK, so the discussion of the Woolsey Law, combined with ELO effects, got me to thinking. This isn't precisely the Woolsey Law but I thought about this position for some reason.

Not sure if this is exact or not. This position is reconstructed from memory, and Madison was back in September. The boards are definitely the same, but I'm not sure about Blue's spare, it might have been on the 6 point maybe? I'm also not sure whether the second position is completely right, but I believe I had 6 off and there were 11 shots. I showed this to Chuck and Keene for a few seconds, so maybe one of them knows ;)

I am a substantially better player than my opponent. Not sure how to quantify it in ELO: 200 points, maybe? ELO is a tricky thing in backgammon, because it isn't standardized. I'm up 4-0 in a match to 9.

The score (after 0 games) is: White 0, Blue 4 (match to 9 points)

Move number 26: Blue on roll, cube decision?

White81

2X1O3X3X3X3X1O ' ' ' ' '

2O2O2O2O3O2O ' ' ' ' ' '

Blue88

Position ID: c3cHAEDbdgNAEA Match ID: UQkgAQAAIAAA

I look at this briefly and decide to roll. I roll 33, played 18/6. I double. My opponent quickly takes. I escape my checker. However, I end up leaving a shot in the bearoff, with a resulting position something like this:

The score (after 0 games) is: White 0, Blue 4 (match to 9 points)

Move number 42: White on roll, cube decision?

White81

2X '3X3X3X3X ' ' ' ' ' '

2O2O4O1O ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

Blue22

Position ID: 2wsAAMzdHQAAAQ Match ID: AgEgAQAAIAAA

And White redoubles me from the bar.

I take, he hits, I dance, but next roll I come in with 25 and win the race. I breathe a very deep sigh of relief.

1) Should I have doubled the first position?
2) Was White's take correct?
3) Was White correct in reshipping from the bar?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.